Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Scored at the Thrifter: Cashmere coat, $6.99

"Scored at the thrifter" is how my friend described the procrurement of a skirt I complimented her on. I think it's a Phrase of Excellence. Here is a coat I scored at the thrifter:


It's a Norm Thompson coat, 75% cashmere, 13% wool, 12% polyamide (nylon)
It's the softest wool coat I have ever felt. No pills, no smells, no stains. It was very wrinkly when I bought it, like it had been in the bottom of a bag. The store where I bought it often has great stuff with wrinkles, usually with a dry cleaners number attached to the tag. I've always assumed that they weren't picked up at the cleaner, so the cleaner piles them into a bag and donates them every so often. I'm not certain that's the case with my coat- it didn't have a number attached to the tag- but it is possible, especially considering that the coat smells fresh.
I have a mink collar that fits on the coat. I just might attach it.

I really love thrift shopping. I love the idea of finding unique, well-made treasures to wear and for my home instead of settling for what I can find at Target, Old Navy or Kohl's. However, I really DO NOT like thrift shopping at Goodwill, and here's why: it's the most crowded store in Albany, always, and I can't figure out why. Things that are donated to Goodwill stay at that store, so the things for sale at the Albany Goodwill were readily available (and probably for half price) at Old Navy, Target, and Kohl's six months ago.It's a bunch of cheap crap.
The Salvation Army, however, gets their merchandise trucked in, from presumably more affluent areas. It's not unusual to find high-end goods mixed in with the Exhilaration! fleece hoodies, and for the same price.
I don't have to shop at thrift stores, my husband would want me to be sure to tell you.
I just like to. I love the thrill of a bargain.

2 comments:

  1. Unbelievably cool. I might be more apt to shop at the thrift store if I could find cute things that fit me. I refuse to settle for a rayon camp shirt in a sea foam color with delightful beadwork. I'll leave that for the retirement scene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "goodwill girl" scores again! Even if it is at the Sally Shop.

    ReplyDelete