Friday, October 30, 2009

I take a bite of a Soul Pancake

Soul Pancake is a website created by Rainn Wilson (Dwight from The Office, Rudy from Sahara) to explore the state of modern faith and creativity. Wilson is of the B'hai faith, which I have always found to be a nice faith because it is so inclusive. B'hais believe everyone is right.

Each day, maybe more than daily, Soul Pancake poses a provocative question which users answer. I am totally stealing this question and the image, and I hope they don't mind.

Are you a hypochondriac?

I am the opposite of a hypochondriac. Hyperchondriac? I prefer the term Illness denier. I am quick to dismiss symptoms. I have a wait-and-see attitude, and I am a firm believer in the tincture of time. I don't do self-exams. If I suspect something is amiss in my body, I just look it up on the internet and treat it with ibuprofen and/or gatorade. I am certain that I will not die of swine flu.

That is not to say that I think my attitude about my health is the correct one. In fact, I think it borders on weird, and it may not be the wisest of tacks to take. I have a little guilt because I am not a panic-and-call-the doctor mom. I took Madison in for all her check ups and immunizations and an occasional earache. Since she had an ear infection at every visit, she had a series of ear tubes and eventually had her adenoids out. I don't think that's my fault. I now know that chronic ear infections are a part of Turner Syndrome.
But I do wonder if I should have worried more about her size. If she had been diagnosed earlier, we could have started growth hormone treatment earlier, and maybe she would get an extra inch or so of eventual height.
Bah, that's crazy talk. Her first pediatrician was a geneticist, and he didn't suspect it.



No comments:

Post a Comment