Monday, May 4, 2009

8 things I learned, am learning, or need to learn from my mother

Mother's day is coming up on Sunday. I'm not usually the type of person that gets things done a week in advance- in fact, I'm quite the procrastinator. But, I wanted to do an 8 things post about my mom, and this is the last Monday before Mother's day... so here it is. Because as much as I love the last minute, I love order even more- and 8 things are for Mondays.

* Life isn't fair "Life isn't fair" was my mom's favorite song when I was young. I thought it was just her easy answer for things that couldn't be otherwise explained- like why dogs die. It turns out that it was her way of preparing me to just "get on with it" when times are tough. Yeah, life isn't fair, but it's all we've got, so we ought to make the best of it.

*Be a hunter/ gatherer. Collecting food is so much more fun than buying it. My mother taught me that elk and deer are much tastier and better for you than beef, and home-grown fruits and veggies are in an entirely different class than store-bought. I am spoiled from years of fresh fish and shellfish. Chantrelle mushrooms are nature's perfect accompaniment, and they are delicious when marinated and canned. Someday, I'll have that garden, and chickens, too.

* Waste not, Want not my mother is a Master Food Preserver, which means she took a class from the county extension service about how to safely preserve foods. Then, she volunteered a bunch of hours, checking canning pressure gauges and answering phone calls from folks with preserving questions. She grows and cans most of the vegetables she and my stepdad eat. She also cans clams, poultry, fish, smoked fish, and apple pie filling. She dehydrates and/or freezes what she doesn't can. Her pantry, which is as big as my bathroom, is stocked from floor to ceiling with delicious canned goods. last year, I bought my first pressure canner, which I haven't used yet. Someday I am going to make homemeade applesauce just like my mom.

* Half of life is just showing up: My mom gets the blame for all the things I sign up and sign on for. I learned to participate from her. She was my 4H leader and school play director. She got involved in ESA and although sometimes it exhausts her, she always has something going. Presently, I find myself involved in ESA, my daughters Girl Scout troop leader, and volunteer soccer referree. I am over-extended and tired a lot, but I would go crazy if I were sitting at home with nothing to do but the dishes.

* Make lists. Grocery lists, to-do lists, bucket lists... I make them all, and my mom taught me how. There is nothing more satisfying than crossing the last thing off the list- except possibly the direction and organization that making a fresh, new list provides. One of my favorite websites is 43things, where I can keep my ultimate to-do list.


* There is good in everyone.
My mom knows and deals with a lot of people who are boorish, bossy, whiny, incompetent, needy...the list of undesirable personality traits could go on for quite a while, and honestly, I am certainly included as one of those people she knows. She rarely speaks an unkind word about any of them. In fact, when she hears unkind words about them, she will often counter with something positive about them. However, this may be due to her need to debate.

*There are two sides to every story:
and mom can argue them both. And she will. Mom loves a spirited debate, and I swear sometimes she argues just for argument's sake. I sometimes hear her debating a point that I know doesn't reflect her personal views. She's never mean or nasty, I think she just relishes the "gotcha" when she makes a point that someone can't counter. It used to drive me crazy, now it entertains me. I am learning to be more tolerant.

* Be tolerant. People have different ideas, religions, cultures, opinions, temperaments, orientations and backgrounds. No one is better than another and every person has value and deserves respect. Even if you vehemently disagree with them.

I've learned a lot from my mom, but I haven't learned it all. I call her all the time with stupid questions about cooking or baking or sewing or knitting or mothering or ESA. She's always so patient with me... which is something (patience) I need to learn from her. Maybe next year. I'll put it on a list.

Happy Mothers Day to my mom, and all mothers.



1 comment:

  1. What a way to be in tune with your mom! This was a great post!

    I didn't know your mom was so homemakery. Canning is an art in and of itself, so bravo to your mom!

    I've made applesauce but the closest thing I got to canning/preserving was making some freezer jam with raspberries I picked myself. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete