Sunday, May 3, 2009

Things I learned this week


Don't confuse this guy with Max from Where the Wild Things Are. He is dressed as a fork, so that he can chase Flap Jack in the Eugene Marathon 5k. Everyone who finished before Flap Jack won a years' supply of Krusteaz pancake mix.
I believe that the fork man won the race. Flap Jack was 5th or 6th. Mr. Fork entertained me before the race, so I took his picture, and he gets my weekly Sunday photo nod.

Here's what I learned this week:

* I found a fantastic money management website, pocketsmith.com. Lifehacker gave me the tip. PocketSmith is exactly the kind of application that I have been looking for since I started earning paychecks and paying bills. Its centerpiece is a forecasting calendar, which shows you how much money you will have available on any given day. You can tell it how much you would like to save, and it tells you how long it will take you. It is in its beta form, and once Lifehacker spilled the beans, they got a lot of traffic which strained their servers, but the folks who run the show seem to be genuinely working hard to get this app up and running smoothly. Bonus: you don't have to give them any personal or account info.

* I learned about the handful bra, a sports bra designed for girls with small boobs. The thing with us is that regular sports bras squish our boobs into our chest, and we look like teenage boys in tank tops. The handful bra has pads, and it is cute and soft to boot. I do not know whether or not they are made in Oregon, but Handful is an Oregon company. The one good thing about being a member of the Itty Bitty Titty Committee is that we don't have to spend a lot of money to get a good, supportive bra. I don't think I have ever spent more than $15 for a bra. The Handful bra is $40, but I think it's worth it, and my next bra will be a Handful. Also: their logo is awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment