Monday, May 11, 2009

8 ways to get a lot for a little



Postage rates increase today. It always surprises me when people complain about postage rates. It is in that spirit that I bring you my list of eight things that deliver big value for a little money.

*First Class Postage: For 44 cents, the USPS will pick a document up at my home or business and take it anywhere in the United States. I don't know how they do it, but I am glad they do. A postage stamp is one of the best deals around.

*A library card: The ultimate value... no wonder it shows up repeatedly on these types of lists. Free books, free movies, free auto repair manuals, free music, free puppets, free internet access.

* Public radio: And her sister, PBS. NPR and PBS bring you the most comprehensive news, best features, and best music on the air. The trick is knowing when to tune in, or subscribing to a podcast or two.

*Running shoes: For the price of one month's gym membership, you can get yourself a very good pair of comfortable shoes and hit the track. You can walk, you can run, you can run up and down the bleachers for extra pain the next day. Your shoes won't care if you wore the same thing yesterday, and your shoes won't hog the elliptical machine or leave butt sweat on the rowing machine seat.

* Sally Hansen Microwaveable Eyebrow, Face and Lip wax: Costs about 5 bucks, about half the price of getting your eyebrows done at the salon, and lasts for about a year. It's pretty easy to use, but I would not use the stickers that they include as guides. But then again, I don't prefer the "drawn on with a Sharpie" look. For removing the nose brow and cleaning up the strays, I declare this product a good deal.

*USAA checking account: If you are eligible (I think that means Active Duty Military or family), get a USAA account. I was lucky to get mine before they tightened up the eligibility requirements. I pay nothing for my checking account. My checks are free. USAA pays me interest and cash back on my debit card purchases. It's as if I bank in Opposite World. People pick up the phone when I call, and they are smart and helpful. I can say I love my bank.

*Bulk Salt: I'll never buy a carton of Morton's again. Bulk salt is about 19 cents per pound for sea salt, 28 cents per pound for the iodized variety. Per Pound. Scoop up this great deal!

*Three Buck Chuck: It really is good, and it really is cheap.

2 comments:

  1. Is TBC a sweet wine? I'm looking for one that is dark and sweet...

    I might start chugging halfa glass for my health...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet like Boone's farm? No. Sweet like "Sweet! this was CHEAP!" yes. I like the Merlot. Try it, if you don't like it, you're only out three bucks. I think they also have a shiraz and a cab.
    "Cab" = winespeak for can't spell in French.

    ReplyDelete