Sunday, May 24, 2009

Things I learned this week

We went fishing today, where I learned that no matter how much state-of-the-art gear and tackle a kid has available, a kid will likely choose to tie a piece of found leader to a stick and drop it three inches from shore.
I learned some other things, too.

* Former Mariners pitcher Randy Johnson is good friends with my Rock Star boyfriend, Eddie Vedder. I never really cared much about the Big Unit before... But I figure he must be an okay guy if Eddie hangs out with him.

* I learned that my cousin's son Jack is on a unicycle team. He's 9.

* I learned that a nine year-old ran a marathon today. Two things make me happy about this kid: 1. His parents seem to have a good perspective on this. His dad ran the marathon with him, and set the pace- to keep the kid from running too fast. The kid was happy to run, and sprinted the last 3/4 mile to the finish, which indicates he was not exhausted. 2. The kid's name is Bill. I love that. No one names their kids Bill or Jeff or Tom or Jeremy anymore.

*Speaking of Jeremy, I was saddened to learn that my friend Jeremy lost his friend Jeff in Iraq last year. I hate IEDs. This war makes me wish we still did it civil war style, where soldiers marched to battle prepared to fight and prepared to die, but with a leader and a plan and a drummer. None of this side of the road surprise bullshit. I wonder: if we still fought wars that way, would battles become like sporting events, televised with real-time commentators and telestrators?

2 comments:

  1. So sorry for your friend's friend. It sucks that anyone has to lose their life in this silly war.

    Jack is 9, but he sounds way more exciting as a 7 year old unicyclist.

    By the way, since bicycles are called bikes and tricycles are called trikes, we affectionately call unicycles, 'yikes'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I corrected Jack's age. That's cute, about "yikes". Something else I learned.

    ReplyDelete