Monday, September 21, 2009

8 things that sound better than they really are

I'm easily excited. If something sounds too good to be true, I am all for it. Here are 8 things that sound really marvelous, but turn out to be just okay.

* The Jimmy Frisco- this roast beef sandwich at the Wet Dog Cafe in Astoria, Oregon just may be the finest-named sandwich around. I admit that I ordered it just so I could say "Gimme a Jimmy Frisco." It sounded so delicious- roast beef, grilled tomatoes, provolone cheese and horseradish. In reality, the beef was bland, the horseradish was some sort of pussy horseradish mayonnaise sauce, and the bread was soggy. The homemade chips, however, were super delish.

* O, the Oprah magazine- I hate to be critical of Mother O, but her magazine is no better than any of the other women's magazines out there. I had a free subscription (thanks, My Coke Rewards) and I did not renew. It's all ads and Jennifer Aniston interviews. No thanks.

* Saloons- It sounds adventurous to go to the local saloon and order a frosty mug. It's really no better than having a beer at the bar on the corner. The same goes for Pubs.

* Being a juror at Junior Gotti's trial- Seven people were, at first, probably really excited to be a part of a sensational trial, perhaps a part of US criminal history. But then, at the last minute, they asked to be excused. No explanantion was offered for why they would want to be excused, so I am guessing that they heard that being a juror in a mob trial is probably really boring.

* Snake handling- Oh sure, it seems like the perfect way to get closer to God while convincing others to do the same. But all it takes is one wrong move to realize you've made an unfortunate and permanent miscalculation.

* Pier biking- What sounds more delightful than riding your cruiser along the pier on a sunny day? It sounds like a perfectly whimsical way to enjoy the hustle and bustle of the waterfront. You might want to don a jaunty chapeau to keep the sun out of your eyes. Maybe you could pack a lunch, or better yet, pack your sweetie on a bicycle built for two. Pedal Power!
Except- you didn't think of this, did you?



Pier biking is very dangerous. Not nearly as fun and carefree as it sounds.

* Impersonating a police officer- Now, who hasn't thought of trying to convince the cop that pulls you over that you are On The Job (thanks, NYPD Blue.)? I think about it all the time- well actually, I thought about it once this morning when I read the news. Anyway, this guy thought about it, and he apparently thought it sounded like a sweet-ass idea, because he tried it and found out that it works out better in his imagination than in real life.

*Maintaining a daily blog- Oh sure, it sounds fun. It sounds like you get to have your very own newspaper column where you can impart your unique world view onto the unwashed masses. It sounds like you can dazzle strangers with your wit and creativity. In reality, it's pretty difficult to be thoughtful and insightful on a daily basis. I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just saying it sounded a lot better in April. Also, I could only come up with seven things.

2 comments:

  1. Are you backing out? It's OK to skip days. As you know, I do it all the time. Some days, there's nothing to take pictures of.

    I love the pier biking sign. It's funny that there was obviously enough people that did that they had to spend money to make the sign. Oh how I would have loved to see those sign pioneers.

    And to me, Gotti = MOB. I wouldn't want to be on that jury either, because you know that on every show on TV, they always pick off the jurors one by one. IT happens everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate to say "I told you so"; but I told you the hamburgers were good at the Wet Dog.
    and now that I think about it, maybe they were only so-so and it was the fries I remember. Then again, we all know how good my memory is.

    ReplyDelete