Tuesday, September 22, 2009

My important social experiment

A Week withoutOver at Poor Girl Eats Well, the poor girl in question is participating in San Francisco Food Bank's Hunger Challenge- that is, eating on $4 per day, the amount a food stamp recipient gets. She's doing very well, I might add, but it's only day two.
I read her posts, and thought that if I had some notice, I might have done the same thing- I love a short term challenge, you know, and I have always wanted to do a social experiment.

Then it occurred to me that I have already been living an altered life for the past seven to ten days. I have run completely out of Ziploc sandwich and freezer bags. This has effects on my family, although we have been able to so far move past the devastation. We have packed sandwiches and other lunch items in Tupperware, so we really haven't missed the sandwich bags at all. We have a rule about substituting freezer bags for sandwich bags- we don't do it because we think it makes the food taste funny.
Tomorrow, I will be faced with my first major challenge. I have zero freezer bags and about 5 pounds of fresh green beans (thanks, Mom!). I have a canner and jars and rings and lids, but I have never used a pressure canner by myself before, and I am frankly nervous. Tomorrow the great question of my week will be answered: Do I end my week without Ziploc, or do I push my food preservation limits and can my first batch of beans?
I'll let you know.

2 comments:

  1. Do you have Tupperware you can put your beans in???

    We have been using waxed paper for sandwiches...works pretty good and brings back memories from working in fast food. I love how neatly a sandwich can be wrapped in waxed paper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i would try to can the beans but have some on standby in bags. only because i know you ;)

    madison

    ReplyDelete