Thursday, September 24, 2009

)(*&^%$#@<>,.?/:;"'{[}]+=_-~`!!



Did you know that today was National Punctuation Day? That's okay. It's not too late to put it on your 2010 calendar.
Do we need a National Punctuation Day? Of course we do! I, for one, punctuate willy-nilly. I over-use the ellipses and comma, and I am still not 100% sure where the period goes if a sentence ends with a quotation.
We have spell check, but no punctuation check; this seems to be an injustice. In observance of National Punctuation Day, I promise to do the following: learn how to properly punctuate quotes, limit my elliptical use and determine whether or not I really need the hyphen.
Oh, and one more thing: What's the difference between these: (...) and these: {...} and these: [...] ?
Oh, the mysteries of punctuation....

3 comments:

  1. Maybe they could coordinate Secretary's Day with NPD. In some cases, the two should meet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and here I thought you were going to scold all the rest of us for our poor punctuation.
    just what is an ellipses anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  3. madison - there is no difference. and an ellipses is the ... that some people *ahem* overuse.

    ReplyDelete