Thursday, September 17, 2009

Mater would frown upon Retriever Towing of Portalnd, Oregon.




My mother, like me, is a member of Epsilon Sigma Alpha, a philanthropic and service organization for women. My mother's chapter is much more philanthropic than mine- they provide college scholarships, host an annual golf tournament for St Jude Childrens research Hospital, and are responsible for bringing the Easter Bunny (and thousands of eggs and prizes) to their small town's Easter Egg Hunt. They host a monthly dinner for senior citizens. They are the kind of women that make good things happen.
Some months ago, they held a garage sale as a fundraiser. Someone- and I am not just protecting his identity here, I really don't know who he was, so let's call him Mr. Donor- generously donated a 30-some year old car to the sale. Since ESA is a non-profit tax-exempt entity, Mr. Donor may have been able to take a tax deduction for the value of the car. The car was sold, to Mr. Buyer, who was pleased that he got a great deal. The ESA ladies were pleased that they had such a large donation. Win-win-win.

Mr. Donor reported the donation of his vehicle to ESA to the DMV. Mr. Buyer was given a bill of sale and a car in return for some money.

A few weeks ago, the chapter was contacted by Retriever Towing in Portland. They were notified that the car had impounded, and they owed $1400.00 in fees. Retriever towing did not divulge the circumstances under which the car was towed, or from where it was towed. My mom told them that ESA does not want the car, that ESA had sold the car, and Retriever towing could keep the car, or squish it or auction it, or whatever. Retriever towing told her that her options were to pay the fees and come get the car, or to let storage fees accrue until auction.
The auction happened yesterday, and I do not know how much they got for the 30 year old-car, but I am sure it was no where near $1400. And- here is the rub- Retriever Towing will apply the sale amount to the fees due. They get to sell the car, keep the money, and charge ESA. For a car they possessed for a matter of hours.
According to my mother, the DMV says ESA is the legal owner of the car and Retriever Towing is within their rights. Here is a story about Retriever Towing towing a woman's car because she parked illegally for a matter of minutes, while she ran into her grandmother's apartment to call the police after she was assaulted. The police came to take her assault report, and while she was talking to the deputy inside her grandmother's apartment, Retriever Towing came and hooked up her car. Even though the deputy asked the driver to put her car down, the driver would not do so until the woman, bloodied and crying and with black eyes, paid a $165 drop fee. The driver was within his rights, but he was wrong. Ethically, morally, personally, wrong.
Now, Retriever Towing is wrong again. They are shaking down a group of old ladies who are afraid their personal bank accounts are going to be seized if they don't pay up. These women have to come up with money out of their own pockets- there isn't enough money in the treasury to cover the bill.
My mother is hesitant to fight this because she is somewhat embarrassed that all the i's weren't dotted in the car transaction- ESA should have notified the DMV of the sale within 10 days. I told her that they ought to let the towing company take them to court. I told her she ought to alert the media. She wrote a letter to Retriever Towing, asking for them to forgive any impound fees because ESA is a non-profit. She has yet to hear from them. I think, if she hasn't heard by Monday, I may alert the Portland media (I nearly did it today-I have a friend who is a reporter in Portland, and today his facebook status was "slow news day...listening to my ipod and police scanner) and Consumerist.com.

*ESA, in this post, refers to my mother's chapter, which I have not named. It does not refer to ESA international. Also, for the sake of my aching wrists, in many instances I refer to "she" or "her" when I mean "my mother and all the rest of the ladies in her chapter"

No comments:

Post a Comment