Wednesday, September 16, 2009

www.obligations.com



I listened to a podcast yesterday about writing in preparation for my big November Novel. The podcast s a recording of the "Pen on Fire" radio program from UC Irvine. The host, Barbara DeMarco-Barrett, interviewed an editor-turned agent about the business of writing, which, quite honestly, I am not all that interested in. During the course of their conversation, Barbara asked her guest, Betsy Lerner, her opinion of Google Books.
Google Books lets users see scanned previews of many books. Some books are available in their entirety. To be honest, I had never played around with it, so I wasn't very familiar with it. Barbara did not try to hide her feelings of uneasiness about Google Books- apparently her book is available in its entirety, and she isn't sure she likes it. Betsy was of a divided mind, as an agent, it's her job to get books sold. On the other hand, She thinks that Google Books may actually help sell books, and she reminded authors that no one ever sold books by withholding material.
Which got me thinking: There is so much free stuff on the internet. What would I pay for? What if I had to pay a penny for every search I made? I bet my monthly google bill would run about 50 bucks. How valuable is the internet?
I've learned so much on-line. I read the news so I don't have to watch TV commercials. I learned to knit using instructions I found on-line. My daughter has a somewhat rare genetic condition, and if it weren't for the internet, I would be constantly on the phone to her doctors- There simply aren't any "What to Expect When your daughter has been diagnosed with Turner Syndrome" books out there. I find recipes, patterns, inspiration, and long-lost friends on the internet.
So I think I am obligated to give back. Perhaps it's my Catholic guilt. I think that we all have an obligation to share what we know, to teach each other what we didn't learn in school, or maybe what we have forgotten. For instance, if I ever get my macrame chair made, I will definitely post instructions and photos, because there just aren't enough macrame chair instuctions out there.

2 comments:

  1. I have been thinking lately about your macrame chair. I would bet that you could find some suitable cord at a marine supply store. After all, macrame was originally a sailor's craft. If probably wouldn't come in handy little balls, you might have to buy it by the yard.
    I know, this is way off the topic, but then, most of my thoughts are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one is on point: I have decided that I wouldn't pay anything for online stuff. I already pay a pretty hefty fee to hook up, so I figure my provider should be paying someone else up the food chain; plus I tolerate all those ads. Internet should be (and is) like TV: most of the basic stuff is pretty much free, but you can pay for premium junk if you want.

    ReplyDelete