Sunday, September 6, 2009

Things I learned this week- crabbing edition



Today, we went crabbing in Newport with my husband's brother and his three kids, and his mother and stepfather and their teenage son. Because of the high kid-overboard potential, we crabbed off the public pier with the railings on the South side of Yaquina bay, rather than our favorite, less-safe, and far less-crowded spot across the water.

One good thing about the long pier is that on the shore end, there are restrooms and a fish cleaning station. The fish cleaning station has trough sinks, hoses, counters, and a dumpster which is filled with fresh fish carcasses. I suggested we dig some bait out of the dumpster, but was voted down because of the ickyness of rooting in a dumpster.
After we had pulled our rings for the second time and found them empty, I decided I was goin' rootin'. I walked down to the end of the pier, and with a glove, pulled out what was left of a fileted tuna- the head, spine and tail.
That fish carcass got HEAVY by the time I had hauled it all the way back to our rings, and I would like to say that due to my dumpster diving, we caught zillions of delicious crab, but we didn't. We did however, catch some- some female and too-small male Dungeness.. and a few red rock crabs, which we kept- but went home with the in-laws, so I can't attest to their deliciousness.
Here's what else I learned:

*I learned that the crab ring ropes have worried grooves into the pier.
* I learned that the president is going to give an address to school kids on Tuesday, the day before my daughter starts school. I'll be sure she watches at home.

* I learned a few other lessons that I ought not blog about. But I learned them. If you ask me about them, I'll tell you.

* I learned that many schools start before Labor Day. This, in my opinion, is ridiculous.

2 comments:

  1. I would love to hear about your few other lessons.

    How long did you have to wait for the crab to enter your lair?

    Kudos on the dumpster diving. Leave it to us women to problem-solve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and your pictures are AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete