Saturday, September 26, 2009

Saturday report


No surveillance equipment at The Monitor's garage sale. He had a few overpriced things and lots of baby items that I guess he was selling for his daughter. He must have put an ad in the paper (Of course he did) because our street was a parade route from about 7:30 until I left for soccer at noon.

Soccer went pretty well. It reminded me of this story from a couple weeks ago.

Two weeks ago, I was scheduled as an Assistant Referee for my daughter's game. I was happy to see that the center ref for that game was a great guy named John, who taught me all I know about refereeing, but I like him anyway. I was surprised to see him because I thought he was moving to Texas.
We met before the game and he explained that he would be moving soon- in fact, his soccer gear was all packed up, which meant his ref watch was packed. He asked me if I had a way to keep time, and I replied that yes, I did. I showed him the fancy ref's watch that I got as a thank-you gift for working Soccerfest last year. This watch has a countdown timer, a count-up timer, a stopwatch, a clock, an alarm and a bunch of other crap I can't figure out how to use. Knowing that John is a supersmart guy, I asked him if he knew how to set the timer for 25, 35, and 45 minute halves. He showed me how, and I was pretty impressed. Since I was scheduled to center ref a game after my daughter's, I would have an easier time keeping track of time. "Thanks!" I said, then I headed to the opposite sideline to put my bag down or something.
Right before the game, I asked him," Okay, how do you want me to let you know that we are getting close to halftime?" And he told me that I didn't have to worry about it because he had borrowed someone else's watch.
It wasn't until about 3 hours after I got home that I realized that he wanted to borrow my watch. An AR doesn't need to keep time, I had no use for my watch for that game. What an idiot I was, and now John has moved to Texas and he and I will never have the chance to laugh together about how dense I was.

1 comment:

  1. I bet he's still shaking his head and laughing about it though. And in the future, he'll relate the story to another ref in Texas and start the story by saying, "This one time..."

    ReplyDelete